Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously Alexander Limi wrote:
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:01:54 -0800, Martin Aspeli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I suspect that plone.relations would be a good way to achieve both of
these things.
+1 to what Martin said, and I'd like to add that I'd love to (long-term) see if we can get the members-as-content paradigm into Plone itself. It's pretty disappointing that it isn't already working like that.

For what it's worthI am as yet unconvinced that that would improve
things for a standard Plone site. The added complexity and numbers of
bugs and performance problems we have seen and the fact that it is harder to have a decent integration with non-local user sources
(LDAP/SQL/RADIUS/etc.) make me think that the current situation is just
fine.

I too am unconvinced that members-as-content is an appropriate paradigm for all sites. The architecture of PAS, whilst a little esoteric in places, is a lot better than people sometimes give it credit for (or assume).

However, the current situation isn't exactly "fine" in all places. :) I think that we should support the following out of the box:

 - Workflow on membership (i.e. require approval for new members)

- Custom member data schemata (actually possible, but lacks in UI support and richness) with sign-up, preferences and edit forms that follow suit.

- Ability to (optionally) expose a member directory as a hierarchical, browsable entity in the site

These don't necessarily require membrane, though membrane/remember is probably the tool most people use to make these things possible.

If you look at membrane itself, it's actually pretty simple, and it mostly just uses PAS plugins to do its magic.

50% of the above is just UI/template work. The other 50% would probably be easier to do with a slightly different set of PAS plugins. I was interested in Kapil's ore.member when that came out, though I never looked into it in detail. It may be worth a look.

Don't get me wrong - there's definitely a place for membrane/remember. In many sites, members are logically part of the content hierarchy, sometimes in more subtle ways than what remember provides, e.g. "membership" is inferred from objects that are richer than just "group" and "user".

Martin