On Feb 20, 6:49 pm, Mikko Ohtamaa <mikko+pl...@redinnovation.com>
wrote:
> johannes raggam wrote:
>
> > hi all,
>
> > why is the plone4_buildout template's wizard warning that the install
> > method via buildout is out of date, since plone 3.1?
>
> I am not author the message, but I can come up with some reasons
>
> 1) Sysadmins often fail with buildout, since they lack enough Python
> experience. Buildout gives you really bad experience when encountering
> errors etc. It is generally being hated by non-developers.

I don't think it is "hated" - but you want to have a developer set up
your buildout, first.  Sysadmins can handle appending stuff to an
existing buildout.

However, this is precisely the point here - the plone4_buildout
template IS out of date.  If you install from the standard installer,
you GET a buildout-based install - that a number of developers have
put a lot of effort into getting right.  A much more reliable buildout
than one built from scratch with paster.

> 2) Buildout sets password and stores it as plaintext
>
> Maybe we can change the message to say "If you are not a developer, don't do
> this?"

I'm not sure what the point is, or what the connection between those
two statements is.  I don't think the installer or paster do this any
differently.