Michael,

> You were doing VFP/Fox work, right?  Any idea which country took away
> your jobs?  My guess:  India.

I was doing VFP/ASP/etc. work. Lots of system support, web back end stuff,
and a good share of VFP as well. Lots of VFP middle tier work.

Any retraining I do comes out of my severance so rather than go through a
government or company program I'm paying for stuff out of pocket. That's
where the conference last week came in and the class I took last week as
well. I'm going into energy consulting and internet marketing in addition to
custom software development. I have a degree in mechanical engineering in
the HVAC discipline, but haven't worked in the area since my days at General
Dynamics doing thermal calculations for rockets and satellites. So I decided
that California's Title 24 market had a Kris-shaped hole in it and am taking
training classes so I can get into that area. It looks good so far.

I will still be using VFP to support my energy calculations, of course. :-)

Also, I will be at SWFox as a vendor next month. More coming on that in a
couple of days! ;-)

I could not make it to FoxForward because my 9/15 end date was too close to
the conference date. I was delivering a "bridge" software project and was
working ridiculous hours right up until the last minute. I had no idea
whether I could make it or not so I just didn't try to schedule either
conference until I actually left EDS. Now that I am gone and am almost
caught up on sleep, I can say I wish I had been able to make it to
FoxForward, and that I'm looking forward to SWFox next month!!

Kristyne McDaniel
www.mcstyles.com
www.shamrocktrails.com