El 04/04/12 01:09, Christof Wollenhaupt escribió:
>> Would you really charge the cost of re-writing already existing software
>> into TCO?
>
> Would you really port my existing FoxPro applications to Linux for free? If
> so, please send me a private mail to discuss the details.

Mit achtrich mus und aftarwunder im versoten bastonen miter.
Ooops! Sorry, was talking my own german dialect (I invent it on the
run). You know, like when you say TCO referring to state issues and
really mean "my own personal use case".

> But it will usually not lock you in, which is the main reason
>> IMO to migrate.
>
> You car has electric wiring a few miles long. How exactly would having a
> printed electric schema help you personally (not someone else, you
> personally) help you with your car?

Ich burstoten mit arstonen fur und achtarbichter.

Or playing it naif : less weight to carry (the electric wiring)
therefore less energy to move the car and I am saving gas. I'm happy,
personally happy.

> Now think back to the last public servant you encountered, maybe a police
> officer, the lady from the US post office or the TSA guy on your last visit
> to the airport: How does it help them having the source code of Linux?

Let's see, the state does not pay royalties for the OS, ergo less
expenses, ergo less taxes, and voilà, they (and everyone else) likes it.
Then,  the state uses non proprietary file formats, then a) the citizen
is not forced into some foreign company's formats and democracy is
served, b) the citizen is not forced to pay for foreign company's
programs and the exchange balance is served. The german police lady is a
citizen so she is served.
Then, the state uses an OS without back doors and state secrets and
commercial secrets are better kept, everybody is happy.

OTOH, a US company gets less revenue, so more US unemployment and the
aforementioned (by you) US post office lady is NOT happy.... well,
life's tough.