On 04/04/2012 01:12 PM, Stephen Russell wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Leland Jackson<lela...@mail.smvfp.com>
> wrote:
>> On 04/03/2012 04:31 PM, Michael Madigan wrote:
>>> That's why I think using a Windows O/S while also using open source
>>> programs is the absolute best way to go.
>> or run Linux as your primary OS and have it host a vm app like
>> Virtualbox, that can run windows and other OS vm(s).  This would cover
>> all your bases, but allow you to run your servers, (eg PostgreSQL,
>> MySql, Apache, Sendmail, Postfix, Mailman, VSftpd, NFS, etc.), in the
>> environment in which they were originally developed, and still run best.
>>
>> Also, you could create an in house Linux Cloud Server and have any
>> computer running any OS connect to it.  I've been doing this since long
>> before the PR "Cloud" moniker appeared in the market place.  I just do
>> it the hard way, without the fancy Web based interface and remote IT
>> department handling everything.  LOL
>>
>> Another option is to run Linux connected to a "Cloud", including run
>> your applications remotely over the web, (eg application as a service).
> -------------------
>
> Sorry but that is not the cloud.  Redundancy, safety and security are
> the cloud.

It is possible to have an in house Linux cloud that is redundant, safe
and secure.  All it takes is the time and experience necessary to create
it, and if it's in house, it can be customized specifically to the needs
of one particular organization; no cookie cutter clouds necessary.  LOL

Also, if all activity in the cloud is local, it can exist totally within
a local network, safe and secure behind a firewall, but if users must
access it remotely, the in house cloud can still be redundant, safe, and
secure.

Regards,

LelandJ