On Feb 4, 2013, at 3:39 PM, Paul McNett <p...@ulmcnett.com> wrote:

> I suspect there are probably some nice things I'm missing by not using an
> IDE, but I
> haven't tried an IDE yet that didn't annoy me in some way. Like you, I think
> this is
> some deficiency in me, not in the IDE, since so many people find so much
> success with
> them.

        When I worked in Java, I couldn't imagine *not* using an IDE. There was
just so much boilerplate stuff that the IDE could supply that I would have
otherwise had to type (and probably forget a few). It was a real benefit to
define something, and have the IDE fill in all the supporting code that was
needed.

        Once I switched to Python, though, IDEs didn't buy me anything. I stuck
with BBEdit on the Mac for a long time (still use it for some things), but a
few years ago I made the switch to vim and haven't regretted it for a minute.
When I spin up a new server one of the first things I copy over are my
.bash_aliases and .vimrc files.

-- Ed Leafe