Not sure it is funny or not.
I've been told that the automotive manufacturers must support their products
for 20 years which means keeping spare parts available.

To me, that sounds like they are taking care of their customers.
Whereas the software industry seems to want to force new products on their
customers rather than maintain their existing products.

Virgil is right. It's not a matter of technical feasibility, it's a matter of (missing) business ethics and necessary regulation to enforce them.

In many US states, an auto mechanic can go to jail for telling a customer they need a repair that they don't in fact need. When was the last time any software manufacturer or vendor got jailed for telling a customer they "need" a software "upgrade" that they don't in fact need?

If we applied the same laws to software as we do to cars in this area, we would quickly find that the software manufacturers would have no more trouble complying with them than the auto mechanics do.

Ken Dibble
www.stic-cil.org