Illinois, I think, charges sales tax on food, unless it has wheat as an ingredient. So a TWIX bar, which has wheat in it, is tax-free, but a MARS BAR is taxed.

Some states charge sales tax on certain types of clothing depending on their price...tennis-shoes are tax-free unless it's an expensive pair, for example.

Some states consider goods (items) taxable, but services (labor) is not, while other states tax services and goods.

Most states have a state rate, county rate, and city rate, but in California there are also tax districts that can overlay city and county boundaries, charging an additional tax.

Its a crazy quilt patchwork of laws and processes. The folks who provide the tax rate service earn their income!

Stephen Russell wrote:
Taxes get DEEP as I remember.  State, County, City/Parish, etc.

Now do you pay a trifle to check them for every transaction or do you build
a log to keep all these value pairs with a date?  Yeah a .001 cent fee per
sale I'd get the rate for each sale.  Now if it was 1.00 USD I'd think
twice about the log.