From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Stephen the Cook
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 9:29 PM
To: 'ProFox Email List'
Subject: RE: [NF] -- Hell yes to virtualization!

MB Software Solutions <> wrote:
> Bill Anderson wrote:
>> "I don't want to keep beating up on Microsoft; I really don't, but it
>> is particularly hard to avoid doing so at the moment. The company's
>> ubiquity means that one can't help but notice the sometimes
>> unpleasant, occasionally weird and often downright sleazy things that
>> it does.
>>
>> The thing that caught my eye this week was the following line in the
>> End User License Agreement (EULA) for Microsoft's Vista Home Basic
>> and Vista Home Premium: "USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You
>> may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a
>> virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system." (See page 11 of the
>> EULA.)"
>>
>> "The real weirdness clincher is making the prohibition legally
>> binding through the EULA. Microsoft didn't just provide advice to
>> consumers; the company made it so that it could take consumers to
>> court should they be caught running Basic or Premium in a virtual
>> machine. That's the way to build a loyal consumer base!
>>
>> If Microsoft keeps this clause in the final Vista EULA, I think every
>> right-minded consumer should consider this as an issue of unfair
>> trade practice by the corporate equivalent of a schoolyard bully.
>>
>> Consumers should get themselves a virtualization system, such as Mare
>> or Parallels, and run it with Vista Basic or Vista Premium on
>> principle. If Microsoft decides to take legal action, I think we'll
>> all ante up for the consumer's defense.
>>
>> Letting Microsoft get away with this nonsense will set a precedent
>> that will come back to bite us in the digital assets, allowing, as it
>> will, software vendors and ultimately hardware vendors to dictate
>> how, when and where we can use their products. The first hurdle will
>> be the consumer market, and the professional market will be next. How
>> hard do you want your job and your life to be?"
>>
>> <http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2006/120406backspin.html>
>>

> Bill -- most end users probably don't understand virtualization let
> alone care about it.  That's what M$ banks on and allows them to stay
> on top for many many years to come.  The "geek" kingdom is not the
> dominant type of person out there, I'd bet.  It's Joe "What's a Disk
> Drive?" Home User.

Michael, they are going after Ed, and Whil, and possibility Charlie.  They
are keeping their OS as the Base OS and not an optional one for occasional
use.

Stephen Russell
DBA / .Net Developer

Memphis TN 38115
901.246-0159

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided
missiles and misguided men." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/srussell/