From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Whil Hentzen (Pro*)
Sent: 05 February 2007 16:19
To: profox@leafe.com
Subject: [NF] Do laptop batteries wear out faster in the cold?

So there I am, in the basement, wearing my four pair o' corduroys,
dinking around on the wind trainer. I have my Mac set up on a stand in
front of the bike to watch whatever trash Netflix has heaved my way
recently.

I've been getting about 70-75 minutes of DVD playing time. Today it
bailed on me at 65 minutes. The only difference (battery was fully
charged from last night) is that it's about 15F in the basement this
morning, up from it's normal 27 or 28. (Outside it's 12 below, F. All
Milwaukee schools were closed. The wimps.)

Of course, I didn't find out that everyone else was going to be sleeping
in until after I had gotten up at oh-dark-freezin'-thirty, stretched,
dressed, and lugged everything down to the basement. Ugh.

Should I be getting more than 75 minutes on a Mac PowerBook G4 battery
for playing DVD? Walter Mossberg keeps boasting about how he gets 3 or 5
hours on his 'endurance' tests, but I suspect that he falls asleep
halfway through his tests, and doesn't realize that the battery is
hibernating on him without him knowing it. He's really old, you know.
Same high school graduating class as Ted, last I heard.

Whil