> I was thinking that when I wrote this comment, but it's hard for me to
> think of any specific reasons XP is better than W2K... Only a few
> ideas come to mind:

I sill run Pro2k on several machines, but on my primary communication PC I
do use XP Pro.  Largely to be familiar with it for clients questions.  I
find Win2k has a smaller RAM footprint, runs fast, and is reliable.  But at
some point it will no longer get the updates (less likely to need them <g>)
we get today.  I also run NT4 Server sp6a, Server 2000 and Server 2003,
again just to be familiar with them, and how they all interact.

That said, here is the one major benefit I find in running XP and Server
2003 over Win2k Pro/Server...  For backup software that supports it, these
newer OSes have Virtual Shadow-Copy Service (VSS), which allows me to back
up files that are open (I use SyncBack, more on that below).  On some PCs I
use Norton Ghost v-9/10, or Norton Save & Restore to automatically burn
weekly images of my boot HDD units, and retain the most recent 4 image sets
(I limit the target file size to 4.0Gb, not 4.7Gb, as some DVD burning apps
can't handle files over 4.0Gb).  On my Servers I use r-tt.com's
r-DriveImage, $50, and it works great unless you need to boot off the CD and
restore to an SATA HDD.  For that I use a separate machine to restore an
SATA drive as their CD boot loader does not handle SATA, although in
run-time under Windows it works fine burning images from SATA HDDs.

Back to SyncBack and VSS, a personal license for SyncBack generously covers
you for up to 5 PCs.  For business use they want a license per PC (I think
it is now $30 or $35/license, I have one per PC).  To use VSS you must be
running XP or 2003 (don't know about Vista), the source HDD must be a local
unit, you must be running NTFS format (compressed or not), and VSS must be
running as a service (some times it has to be set to run automatically).  It
is the cat's meow, and certainly makes XP/2003 a viable choice just to make
certain I am getting solid backups of my .pst, quicken and quickbooks files
as I rarely close those apps.

Gil