> Dell tech and can have parts here in less
> than 24 hours

That is what caught my attention with my one client, who had a low end Dell
Server, but got it with the extended service contract with 8 hour response.
Their tape drive failed, and the same day Dell had the part out there with a
tech to pop it in.  Saved me a 50 mile round trip had it only been the part
provided.  I was so impressed (I had placed the Dell support call for my
client) with how I was treated, and the responsiveness, that I decided that
day to begin giving Dell a try.  Glad I did, solid stuff and well suited for
my purposes.

CompUSA did buy out Computer City, back in late 1998.  It was a big deal out
here, as there was no other real competition at the time.  Then Best Buy
came into play a year or so after that.  Re: Staples, I have found they have
made an effort to provide excellent products for very reasonable pricing.
Not a deeply stocked as CompUSA, but about 4 miles closer to me, and less
crowded on weekends.  Pricing is competitive at Staples, and I get far less
push-back than with CompUSA with using my NY State Certified Reseller
documentation to get things tax free if it is for resale.

CompUSA has gotten burned so many times with having to pay Sales Tax due to
unclear documentation that they give everyone looking to get no Sales Tax
for resale items a lot of grief.  Can't really blame them, but once I have
my NY State Reseller Certificate on file with their store, have several
Platinum Business Visa cards with both my personal and company name on them,
have a copy of my business license in hand, and offer the a photocopy of my
NY State Reseller Certificate to attach to their paperwork, I could do
without the third degree interrogation.  And don't even get me started about
their on-line purchase for store pickup, where the product(s) will
supposedly be waiting for me for a speedy checkout bullshit!  I do not wish
CompUSA evil, but our store has some issues with attitude & service when
doing business with "small operators" like me.  So, that is why I order from
Buy.com and tigerdirect.com whenever I can, less grief.

Gil