Greetings All!

I am about at the end of a 3 week journey to LA, a visit mainly meant to
help my parents and my aunt (long story, nothing good).  I had hoped to see
some friends and associates, but despite the 3 week stay I only was able to
see my clients this past week, everything else was focused on family
matters.

Anyway, regarding the question about disk imaging, I use Norton Ghost on
most of my workstations, and Norton's Save & Restore (based on Ghost
technology) for the PC I use to manage my Outlook eMail/Contact/Calendar
app.  For my Servers I use RTT's R_DriveImage ($45 per machine, works on
Windows client and server based platforms!).  If you want to schedule
automatic imaging, all 3 apps will handle that.

I really like R_DriveImage for Server class OS use (Win NT4/2000/2004
Server), and would be tempted to use it for all my workstations as well,
other than the fact I had already licensed Ghost for my workstations.  The
only downside with R_DriveImage (which I hope is resolved with an upgrade)
is the inability to recover a SATA HDD from a boot CD directly, lack of
drivers I think.  I get around this by using a separate Win 2003 Server PC
to recover an image to a HDD hung as a non-boot HDD, then swap it into the
Server I needed to do the recovery for.  No big deal if a person has a lot
of PCs to use, but for a field repair it could be disastrous.  A major plus
is the R_DriveImage boot CD will allow a person to create an image without
installing the app on a particular PC - whereas Ghost stopped doing that
after Norton purchased the PowerQuest DriveImage app and blended it with
their Ghost app.  I do, as an aside, use my older PowerQuest DriveImage
(pre-Norton) once in a while as an imaging utility once in a while for PCs
brought to me for malware cleanup.  I do not often do that kind of work any
longer, but it is a nice tool to use.

Oh, did I mention that RTT R-DriveImage is only $45 and it works with Win
Server as well as workstation platforms?  I know, I did mention it, but I
wanted to make certain nobody goes out and drops a lot of wampum on more
expensive options unless there is a compelling reason to do so.  Also, you
have to download R_DriveImage (www.r-tt.com), unless they have recently gone
retail with their app.

Gil