From: profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com [mailto:profoxtech-boun...@leafe.com] On
Behalf Of Gil Hale RR
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 4:46 PM
To: profoxt...@leafe.com
Subject: RE: [NF] Yearly support fees vs. hourly fees

We have a similar tax thing out here in NY state, where a service contract
or software license is not taxable.  But, each of my clients, when told
about that, have opted to have me charge the Sales Tax lest they get
audited.  In NY it is not unusual for one entity (me, for instance) to be
subjected to an audit.  Then when there is blood in the water they would go
ofter the NY based clients for failure to pay Use Tax when they "should
have", even if the transaction is not taxable as with tech support or
license fees.  It is government sponsored extortion, where companies pay up
rather than go through the costlier option of fighting a full blown
audit(car dealerships, juicy targets).  It is really a shame, but I guess
collectively we see it as the cost of doing business within the state
criminal enterprise known as NY.

I have, as a direct result of some of these shakedown tactics, begun to
record every call between myself and any tax authority (Fed or NY),
financial institution, insurance company, or vendor.  You would be amazed at
how quickly I have turned matters around when I advise that I have a legal
copy of the conversation on such and such date where I was told thus,
therefore...  $99 for the software, $99 for the USB voice modem.  Saves the
.wav files on the hard drive, managed within a simple database, had Caller
ID, DateTime stamp, length of conversation, and allows me to make memos.
With some states all parties in a conversation must be notified before a
recording can be made (CA is one of them).  But for the vast majority it is
single party notification, and I am that one party <g>.  NY is such a state,
and I do record a lot of stuff, just in case.

Gil