Le 2012-11-05 13:28, Italo Vignoli a écrit :
LibO was created to stop a lengthy discussion on the pronunciation
problem of LibreOffice, which is now over. Unfortunately, although I
like it, it has contributed to the dilution of our brand equity and we
should now try to avoid to use it for new names, while I would not
change old and established ones.

So, I would not change LibOCon and LibOx, and any other name we already
use, but I would try to use Libre as much as we can for new names, in
order to strengthen the "libre" concept and association.

It seems to me that we are now going to abandon the recognized brand name of "LibO" (well-known internally, and somewhat externally recognized by the communities) and try to establish a more generic brand "Libre" which is usually associated with a movement, and, we have already established that there is a pronunciation problem with some of our communities with the word "Libre".

The "LibO" brand is already tied into the "LibreOffice" project name, why not expand its use? We have already reserved it in domain names, project names such as LibOx, we are already using it as an unofficial wiki page naming convention, and it could easily be tied in with a brand mascot -- I am not sure that a "Libre" mascot is quite as sexy.

I don't believe that "LibO" has contributed to the dilution of our brand, but reinforced it. It is recognizable and easily pronounced by all, it is unique!!!, and, most of all, it is catchy. If any group wanted to claim it as their own, we can already claim the word "LibO" as our own by proof of usage with our project (prior use). Is this not what we are looking for?

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré