Federation would be disabled by default to prevent metadata leaks. The
server would be globally addressable via a Tor .onion service (provided by
Orbot on Android), regardless of your network configuration.

To me the most exciting part of .onion services isn't the "anonymity"
aspect, which is looking very weak at the moment btw, but the ability to
punch holes through almost any firewall or NAT. To run a globally
addressable .onion service you don't need to forward ports on a router, or
hope you aren't behind carrier grade NAT. It "just works" in almost any
network configuration, as long as the Tor network isn't blocked.