At 10:55 AM 2/14/01 -0600, Micky Blain wrote:
>There is some debit going on at this company about the way Protel calculate
>Annular Ring. They are using dia-hole and dia of pad to calculate the
>number. I am being told that is not right.

It isn't right. Actually, I think that the program did work properly
before, but the documentation and on-line menus were wrong. But, for sure,
it does work correctly. I just placed a 60 mil pad with a 40 mil hole on a
test board and set up a rule for a 12 mil min annular ring, and the rule
correctly caught the undersize ring.

Annular ring is the thickness of the *ring.* It is not the diametric
difference.

>I have the Annular ring design rules set to 8mil in Protel and the debit is
>that is a 4 mil annular ring.

Check it out. That's an *8* mil annular ring just like it says. But this
could have been tested in less time than it took to write the message.

Someone is thinking back to some old menus which I think were not even
correct when they displayed. Go to the Annular Ring rule menu. It defines
annular ring as the difference in radii. It used to say "diameter,"
definitely in Protel 98; I don't remember exactly when it was fixed.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433