Brad Velander
Lead PCB Design
Norsat International Inc.
#100 - 4401 Still Creek Dr.,
Burnaby, B.C., Canada.
V5C6G9.
voice: (604) 292-9089 (direct line)
fax:    (604) 292-9010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www: www.norsat.com

-----Original Message-----
From: TSListServer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Burt Bicksler
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 7:42 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list proteledausers
Subject: RE: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Warning on ViewMate free Gerber
viewer..Found culprit..

Hi,

After spending a fair amount of time tracking the problem down I finally
traced it to some kind of interaction with an Epson Stylus Color 800
printer driver for Win2K.  I want to add that Lavier was VERY helpful in
working on trying to track this problem down.

The printer/driver had been working fine up until the time I installed
ViewMate.  Hard to tell exactly what is causing the problem, but I've been
able to repeat it, and deleting the Epson printer causes Protel to work
again, just can't print to the Color printer from that machine but I can
still print to the Laser printer so that works, and I can use a different
machine to print in Color when I need to.

So it appears that while installing ViewMate was the trigger for this
problem that the real culprit is the Epson driver and/or some interaction
with Protel's Schematic Editor.  Note that while it would exception out
when trying to print you didn't need to access the printer to have it
choke.  Some cases just loading the DDB with SCH files in it would be
enough.  Probably it parses, finds the printer and attempts to talk to it
while loading for some reason (pure conjecture).

So, if you wind up having some weird exceptions from Protel you might want
to tuck this information away and try deleting your printer driver(s) as a
test to see if it corrects the problem.

Burt Bicksler