At 02:08 PM 3/6/01 +1100, Ian Wilson wrote:

>Other have covered the why but here is a (possibly) useful tip
>
>You can also select a number of files at a time and get their properties
>(Alt-Enter or right-click Properties) and change their Read-Only attribute
>all in one go.

Just to be completely clear, if I am correct, when a read-only file is
copied by Windows, the file permissions for the copy are automatically set
to read-only. I know that this happens for CDROMs, I haven't tested it
elsewhere.

As noted, you can change file attributes through the Explorer properties
dialog, including the read-only attribute. Easy-peasy.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433