Is the speed of light really constant?

Researchers use super-cool goo to dramatically slow speed of light:
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/ptech/9902/19/slow.light.01/

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Elson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 7:11 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list proteledausers
Subject: Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Give up, there is no point (Ex:
Confused Newbie on Footprints)

Bagotronix Tech Support wrote:

> > The speed of light, c, is constant.  Any improvements in the how fast
> light
> > travels does not affect the number in metres per second.  The length of
> the
> > metre is changed instead.
>
> Oh, now I see!  So that's why we cannot exceed the speed of light!  The
> faster we go, the further away the object gets!
>
> But wouldn't light go faster or slower if we measured in feet/s, instead
of
> metres/s?  The foot is measured wrt to an actual bar of some alloy in a
> standards lab somewhere, right?

The original set of bars now are in the NIST museum.  They do have secondary
standard bars and rulers, but the primary standard is the wavelength of
light
from a HeNe laser.  I wouldn't want to have to count off all the fringes
in a full Metre!  Gasp!

>  If so, it should show variations in the
> speed of light.

Yes, obviously, if you redefine the unit of measure, then the speed of
light has to be changed to match.

Jon