On 01:40 PM 8/03/2001 -0500, Larry Carter said:
>After importing a custom library from OrCAD 9.2 I noticed two issues.
>1.  In OrCAD I defined a square area on the top solder mask as a copper
>pour and did not see it after importing to Protel 99 SP 6. (Help states
>that OrCAD copper pours will convert to polygons)

Does Orcad support fills?  If it is a rectangular area then Protel fills
are much more efficient (usually) than pours anyway.  I would be pretty
nervous about a Protel poly pour in a component footprint (mainly as I have
never tried it ) - I always use fills and individual tracks to construct
the paste and mask shapes that I want.  (Now if you were making complex
pads (tracks etc on copper layers) then you have an extra thing to watch
out for - the autorouter will pull up any copper tracks that are part of a
component. Doesn't touch paste and mask layer though. The autorouter does
not affect copper fills as part of a component.)

The comment in the help file probably refers to free pours on a PCB not as
part of a component - I suspect Protel is  not happy with a pour in a
component.  Has anyone tried this?

>2.  Also I have pads in OrCAD that are defined as rectangular for the top
>copper and solder mask but the top paste is defined as oblong with
>different length and width dim.  Protel makes the top paste the same as
>the top layer.

Protel does not allow a full pad stack to be defined.  You can probably
achieve what you want though.

On the pad(s) in question - edit the Advanced properties and override the
paste mask expansion and make it minus one half of the maximum pad
dimension (if the pad is 80x50 make the expansion -40).  Now add to
each  pad entities as you wish on the top paste layer.

You can do similarly for the solder mask  - in the advanced properties mark
the pad as being tented and then add solder mask details as required.

Protel knows to swap the top solder and top paste mask entities to the
matching bottom layers if you flip the component.  (If you wish to do all
of this free pads (paste mask on a free pad???) then it is messier as it is
difficult to keep the different layers entities together - though I s'pose
unions might work (or are they for components only?)

I would have thought that there is really no reason why the ORCAD converter
couldn't do this automatically - at least for relatively simple padstacks.

Ian Wilson