At 03:11 PM 3/14/01 +1100, you wrote:
>What we really need is a flag for a component that says
>that a component of class X must be located within Y mm.
>We don't need/want to specify which particular component
>is the bypass cap for that particular chip, just that one
>of a class of components must be within cooee of the part
>needing bypassing.

This could become a signal integrity rule, since component classes are
already implemented. It should be a bit more sophisticated, however.
Capacitor placement is one issue, lead length is another. One might have a
cap directly underneath a part and still have poor bypass at high edge
rates because of excessive lead length. But it should not be difficult to
write a set of relatively simple rules that would make a decent effort at
checking bypass.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690