Well, after some messing around, it appears that the "relocated
overbars" go away when the sheet to be printed is OPEN before printing.
Not a problem for single-sheet schematics. Messier for big hierarchies.

I still agree that the overbar is a bad crutch and should be avoided,
but if you're in my boat where cleaning up old designs (renaming pins
and net names to remove the \ before each character) may cause more
problems than it solves, this is not a bad fix.

And Protel, just why does the overbar rendering get screwed up when the
file is closed but not when it's open? I also notice that when a .ddb is
opened with all schematics "loaded", right-clicking on the schematic tab
(not in the Explorer but in the main sheet window) shows the sheet at a
completely-zoomed-out perspective before rendering it to fit the window.
It's possible to see, in that second before the zoom/redraw catches up,
the text strings hanging over the sheet edge and other artifacts.

Still better than PADS,

Drew