Square pads are usually designating pin 1 or some other such
special designation and would serve no purpose on an internal
layer as you can not see them on the finished board.
Remember that internal planes are viewed as negative images
i.e. that where you see a pad there is no copper so that if
your split plane line crosses a pad there is no connection to
either plane.

Steve Smith
Product Engineer
Staco Energy Products Co.