At 02:18 PM 7/12/01 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I just ran the full DRC and it's a bit worked up.  I'm not sure I understand
>what it's trying to tell me.
>
>"Violation         Net NetR100_2
>      Warning - Connection to overlapping split planes"
>
>I think this means that R100  is placed over two separate split planes. That
>is, two holes, on the same part, are in different planes.  R100 is not
>connected to either plane.

No, this is not what the warning means. At the PCB level, this has nothing
to do with R100. Rather, there is a net called NetR100_2. Probably a pad
connected to that net has a potential for straddling the split. You'll need
to look at it.

 >My experience indicates that it WILL catch pads or vias which might bridge
>split
> >planes.
>
>I saw no warnings regarding the pads that bridge planes.  I generated the
>Gerbers to verify this condition does occur on my board.  I should mention I
>have so many warnings like the one above that it's possible I missed it.
>I'll look a little more closely.

I think I have seen such pads shorting boundaries that were not caught by
DRC. As I recall, I reported that here, I don't have time to go back and
look at the moment.

> >Doggone nuisance, in my book - why doesn't Protel just hold back the
> >plane around the problem pad/via?
>
>My thoughts exactly.

Well, that would create some other problems. There are designs where we
want to place the planes such that the DRC does generate this error, but it
is harmless. It would also require running the DRC when generating gerber
or when displaying the layer, which would slow the latter procedures down
substantially. It's not a simple problem.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433