> I believe CDs only have a finite life also. Does anyone know how long?

The number I have heard mentioned is 10-20 years for writable optical media,
and 50-100 years for stamped optical media.  Of course, no one knows for
sure because these technologies aren't that old yet.

But for magnetic media, I have observed occasional troubles with retrieving
CAD data from more than 5 years ago.  Data older than 10 years is almost
always non-recoverable.

> PS: Ivan, what was the sci fi book :-)?

"The Return" by Buzz Aldrin and John Barnes.  Set in present day Earth and
very plausible.  Good book!  Check your local library.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com