I found good article about the degradation of CD's on the Roxio web site
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/discs/dodiscsdegrade.html

Notwithstanding any of that, I've had a purchased CD become unreadable after
10 years (stored at room temperature, always returned to the jewel case),
but it's too early for any of my CD-R's to show signs of mis-read.  Never
relied too much on magnetic media.

Tony Bricknell
Crompton Instruments
Essex, UK

> > PS: Ivan, what was the sci fi book :-)?
>
> "The Return" by Buzz Aldrin and John Barnes.  Set in present day Earth and
> very plausible.  Good book!  Check your local library.
>
> Best regards,
> Ivan Baggett
> Bagotronix Inc.
> website:  www.bagotronix.com