Hi Richard,

I too (attempt to) use the data base linking function. I too find it as slow
as a wet week. It has been this way for as long as it has existed. From my
playing with it I think it does umpteen passes through the file (multiply
no. of components by number of fields I think).

Please Mr. Protel can this feature be addressed in the next update.

I'm also linking to a DbaseIV database. In an attempt to speed things up I
have been making a local copy of our inventory file and stripping out
irrelevent fields (items that don't live on PCBs) to make the file smaller.
This helps a little but the linking function needs speeding up somehow.

I have recently been toying with doing something external to Protel using
Access or Excel - nothing more than thoughts at the moment though.

I'm glad to hear though that I am not the only one who makes use of the
linking feature. So while I can sympathise and confirm the lack of
performance of this feature, at this stage I can offer no real help.

Good Luck,

LINDEN DOYLE
Product Development Engineer
Zener Electric Pty Ltd