hmmm.... it's been years since I've played with programming under MS-Win~1
for multi-proc systems.... I think the OS will obviously take advantage of
the multi-proc (and the OS scheduler may schedule separate processes of apps
on different processors), but I think (if I recall) the applications have to
sense and use (and set ProcessorAffinity) for its respective *threads*, with
those types of system calls to the kernel in order for the threads to take
advantage of the multi-proc (Winnt and Win2k of course).

I do not know if Protaltium implements that or not....  And there is
probably some extra shared memory management and perhaps marshalling of
resources that would need to be written (which is fodder for bugs and
crashing! so hey, maybe they did ;-)  just kidding)...

Does anyone else know off the top of their heads about the
Processor_Affinity stuff? I think this is correct... (It's been a while)

I know for example, my multitrack recording software does purposefully
implement this stuff by hook or by crook for the threads and plug-in effects
running on different processors.

The multitrack recording software boasts about only a ** 35% ** increase in
performance with a dual processor system versus the single processor system,
pound for pound (or dyne for dyne  or slug for slug......   ;-).  But a dual
processor system is better for multitrack type software to keep those
separate threads on different processors in pseudo/apparent in-process dll
attachment type configuration (without having to enter/exit from the host
CPU to another machine to process things at high data rates)...

I think 2 computers might be better (but more costly???) as a second
computer at the same speed would be 100%...  but then you have file
integrity, revision control, possible merge-ification issues and multiple
copies of things.... but you may gain some crash safe redundancy...

I wonder how this would behave on the new Dell's dual 1.7GHz processor
400MHz memory bussed RDRAM machines? (which I suppose in theory brings the
bus speed to 200 MHz for each processor in theory... which is not much more
than 133MHz....).... I'd wait for 800MHz busses....

-chris
shoe shine boy
assistant bottle washer