I've used the Signal intergrity  utility and it was helpful and matched
what I was seeing on the problem design I inherited. I wish the problem I
currently have (1 buffer and 8 or 64 memory chips) could be run in it, but
it would be difficult with two boards and a connector involved not to
mention the design being done in an old version of PCAD.  I have not had
Protel hang in quite a while, and the last time I found was due to improper
spice simulation values on parts in the schematic.  I just pulled it up on
a smaller design and nd ran some signals without any glitches or delays.  I
do wish it would just update the waveanalyzer everytime instead of opening
a new window since I end up getting tons of windows.

I have found that Protel is sensitive to DLL HELL, and I have had similar
problems when using WIn9x with other programs written with Borland tools
(delphi). At one point I found multiple versions of a Borland DLL were
causing problems. I also had a plug in install go screwy and I ended up
unistalling Protel and reinstalling.

Sorry you're having such troubles. Have your checked the rest of your
Windows Systems' integrity?

And no I am not in love with Protel. I do feel it is the best value
currently for a company doing small quantities  and thus not able to
justify $40K+ for two seats.

Rob