On Wed, 8 Aug 2001 15:57:38 -0400, Jeff Adolphs wrote:
>I don't like the W2K reboot time, but if I don't reboot Protel99SE seems to
>still be broken.
>W2K takes a long time to reboot because its automaticly correcting files,
>healing itself, and wondering why Protel99SE crashed!

The boot times for all my systems are about the same, Win98 or Win2K. If you
have a network card installed, that tends to make Win9x/ME systems boot slower.
I think it has to do with the network discovery process as it boots the network
components. I don't build systems without NIC's anymore, but the Win98 systems
I've worked with boot much faster with no NIC installed. Some add-on disk
controller cards such as the Promise IDE controllers are notoriously slow
booting. Also, SCSI controller cards significantly increase the boot time due
to the SCSI card discovery process scanning the bus for active devices. This is
a hardware function and is common to Win9x/ME or Win2K.

Win2K seems to take no longer (or not significantly longer at least) regardless
of your hardware configuration.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems