From: Colin Weber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 6:07 PM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Alegro Conversion

I have used the extract command of Allegro and it works well. From memory,
It has
more options than just the text interface it present the user with. You can
drive it
without the interface. I found converting the data it presented (using AWK
at the time)
still took some time to do. The way libraries are managed presented
problems.
This may be something to be aware of when wanting to match libraries in
Protel,
if using this method.

The contractor I had translate a Protel PCB into Veribest/Mentor using the
RSI tool
said the conversion from Protel went well and had little rework to make the
translation
complete. However, going back to Protel is where he was skeptical and hasn't
as
yet tried. If you'd like I'll keep you posted when he gets around to trying
this.

I have also realised that at the time of posting my last email you would be
using
a late version of Cadence as the older ones had Y2K issues.

At 05:31 PM 15/08/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>The problem may not be just limited to protel ascii 2.8 limitations.....
>
>There are a few homebrew options but some may seem more impractical than
>others....
>

>5) purchase said package in (4) or get that company to provide you with
>following:
>
>there is an extract utility (I forget the name of it....cds_extract???
>allegro_extract???) that comes with the Cadence tools that will directly
>read the binary brd file and give you a text file of the extracted
>primitives... A PERL script could make breakfast out of that and convert it
>to protel ascii
>
>the extract utility uses a text file to describe what kind of information
>extract from the brd file and then generates said output text file...
>
>6) use router solutions inc.
>

>Allegro is super powerful while protel's UI is far superior and makes
boards
>a joy....
>-chris

Regards,