I have a few thoughts on file conversions that might be of help.  Of course,
this probably won't help you with your problem now.  But going forward into
the future, it might.

Rule #1:  NEVER get rid of your old CAD program software.  Keep the original
media and make a backup copy every 2-4 years or so.  This goes for the OS it
runs on, too.

Rule #2:  If someone wants to clean house and get rid of old software, see
rule #1.  If your company leases vault space, you might consider putting
software in it to prevent it being thrown out.

Rule #3:  Save some non-native format versions of your CAD files.  For
example, a Protel SCH should be saved also as a ASCII file, a DXF, and a
PDF.  That way you can at least print a fresh copy when the old ones have
been worn out or lost.

Rule #4:  For any current (still shipping) designs that you may want to
revise, bring your CAD data forward into the latest
Protel version.  But DO NOT delete your old Protel version CAD files.

Rule #5:  Make new archival copies of CAD data every 2-4 years on whatever
the current media is (yesterday floppies, today CD-R, tomorrow who knows?).

Rule #6:  Keep a PC that is capable of running those old CAD programs should
you need to resort to one.  This is easy now since the PC is still king, but
when the X86 architecture is left behind, you're going to need that old
dinosaur PC.

This week I am going through my old designs (some of which date back to
1989) and bringing them forward.  It would be much more difficult if I
didn't still have those old CAD programs.  I tried that eCapture thing to
bring Orcad files forward to Orcad DSN format, but never could get it to
work.  It was easier to use SDT3 itself to make SRC libs to import into
Protel v3.X.  Then I saved it in Protel 3.X format and imported it into
Protel 99SE.  Some cleanup was required, but the results were pretty good.
Why did Protel not put the ability to import Orcad SDT3 schematics in 99SE;
it was in 3.X?

Every gizmo you ever design will be a legacy item some day.  So, keep all
your Protel versions!  And other CAD program versions!

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com