Evan Scarborough wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Is there a way to set up a design rule so that the defined keepout areas
> only affect the outer layers (other than ignoring or turning off online
> DRC)? I am routing an 8 layer pcb and the surfaces have rather complicated
> keepout areas for a metal frame that mounts flush, but internally I have no
> need to stay out of these areas but I can't seem to convince the DRC that
> this is so (and I'm not sure I want to see what the autorouter does with
> this - it'll be bad enough with a 680 pin 1mm pitch BGA).

I think - I haven't done one like this - that you want to make an overall
outline for the autorouter using lines that enclose the entire area.  Then,
you can draw fills in the areas to be kept clear on the outer layers, and
set the flag when you double-click on the fills, to make them keep-outs.
I'm not exactly sure what the autorouter will do with that info.

Jon