Whilst manual routes will happily snap to any pad centres, the Protel
autorouter isn't too happy about anything off a 1-mil grid.  It tends to put
a number of small track segments converging on the pad centre, which you'll
probably want to tidy up - this takes more time than converting the metric
pad positions to the nearest mil, although beware that on really small
footprints the pad displacement in converting can be a significant
percentage of the pad spacing (although I've yet to see any problems caused
by this approach).

Regards

Andy Gulliver

[cut]