It's not likely to be the graphics card, but the video drivers themselves.

Virtually any modern AGP 2x video card is plenty fast for any 2D graphics. Bad
video drivers cause more Windows related problems than any other source. They
also cause lots of mysterious "freezes" and systems crashes. Check around the
'net and see if any better/newer/more stable drivers are available for your
video card. ATI is not known for providing great WinNT/Win2000 drivers. There
are LOTS of issues with ATI cards and CAD software in general -- CAD programs
tend to use hardware acceleration features many "ordinary" programs don't. You
might try adjusting the hardware acceleration level of your video card to a
lower level in the hardware manager.

Another common cause of "pauses" and "freezes" is hardware conflicts with other
cards on the PCI bus, especially sound cards. In particular, cards such as
Creative SBLive cards are known to cause PCI latency problems on *some* systems
where they "hog" the PCI bus for long periods of time which in turn keeps the
video card from being accessed. Do you have a VIA chipset motherboard? There
are known problems (and fixes) for VIA/Creative soundcard problems. It sounds
like you might have a problem like this. Just a guess (from another Athlon
user)...

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems