Richard Thompson wrote:

> Hi group
>
> Can anyone confirm if this is a bug or not please?
>
> in protel 99se pcb editor.  if i click left mouse and drag over components
> to select them it only selects the surface mount components and not
> conventional through hole.  This is on a simple single sided board with
> mixed SMD and through hole comps. (multi layer is on, as is bottom artwork
> etc but not top artwork)

Wierd!  I can assure you it doesn't behave like that for me, on typical
2 or 4 layer boards.

> If i turn the top layer on (which i'm not using) the click drag works fine
> and selects all components properly. The top layer does not have to be
> selected as current, it mearly has to be active in design/options.
> SMD parts are on bottom artwork layer only, through hole pads are multilayer
> (using pad stack for different sizes.  Obviously the multilayer pads are the
> problem but why?

Well, designing a board with no top copper is kind of strange.  If there
is only one copper layer, maybe you should call that top copper, and
not design the board from the opposite side.

> Its not a problem as such but surely it shouldn't behave like this?

It is quite conceivable that noone ever tried this!

Jon