I have tried this... and he's right, it won't select through-hole
components if they are designated as being on the TOP layer.  Through-holes
mounted from the BOTTOM layer will select.  Exception:  Free pads will
select no matter what.
Protel definitely doesn't like its top-layer being turned off.  If you do
single-siders, leave the top layer on and just don't put any tracks on
it/don't generate any gerbers for that layer.

As to whether or not this is a bug...hmmm we'd have to take a vote.

Frank

At 05:01 PM 9/17/2001 -0500, Jon wrote:

>Richard Thompson wrote:
>
> > Hi group
> >
> > Can anyone confirm if this is a bug or not please?
> >
> > in protel 99se pcb editor.  if i click left mouse and drag over components
> > to select them it only selects the surface mount components and not
> > conventional through hole.  This is on a simple single sided board with
> > mixed SMD and through hole comps. (multi layer is on, as is bottom artwork
> > etc but not top artwork)
>
>Wierd!  I can assure you it doesn't behave like that for me, on typical
>2 or 4 layer boards.
>
> > If i turn the top layer on (which i'm not using) the click drag works fine
> > and selects all components properly. The top layer does not have to be
> > selected as current, it mearly has to be active in design/options.
> > SMD parts are on bottom artwork layer only, through hole pads are
> multilayer
> > (using pad stack for different sizes.  Obviously the multilayer pads
> are the
> > problem but why?
>
>Well, designing a board with no top copper is kind of strange.  If there
>is only one copper layer, maybe you should call that top copper, and
>not design the board from the opposite side.
>

> > Its not a problem as such but surely it shouldn't behave like this?
>
>It is quite conceivable that noone ever tried this!
>
>Jon

Frank Gilley
Dell-Star Technologies
(918) 838-1973 Phone