Thanks, Mr. Lomax, for the alternative method (& comprehensize
description!) -- that sounds like the way to go.

I noticed one other problem (bug?) using the (other) alternative of a
polygon on a signal layer: the pour does not respect individual via
clearance design rules.  That is, I have a Clearance Constraint rule for a
particular net-class with a larger clearance than the overall board-level
rule.  When I pour the polygon, the pour gets too close to those vias,
apparently using the board-level clearance for all vias, regardless of other
rules.

<snip>
> Place the polygon blowout that you want on a mech layer (or any non-copper
> layer, but using a mech layer is best).
<snip>