Hi Brian,

I would guess, the import is messing up.
To make sure, you could (or maybe should) try to import the generated
DXF-files in Camtastic. That will give you more certainty about your DXF's.
When you generate DXF in Protel, the file contains everything on all layers,
even if you have hidden them in Protel. In general this produces very large
DXF-files.
In Camtastic you can easily throw away the unneeded layers (click on the
layername and press the delete button on your keyboard). After that, you can
export to a new DXF-file, which only contains what you need. Before
exporting, you can choose between Imperial and Metric in the toolbar.
I often use this procedure, when customers or suppliers need data about
mechanical features of my designs.
If you don't have Camtastic, you can use the free Camtastic Viewer, it also
imports DXF, however, you don't have editing or exporting options.

Have a nice day!

Joop Reekers
Semecs bv, Almelo-NL