Ralf -  have you tried ticking the "permanent" check box in the lib editor
PREFERENCES/DEFAULTS/COMPONENTS window. Not sure if this will work but its
worth a try.

I'm glad Protel ignores the value for the designator and comment text
position.
Having never looked at this before, I took a peek this morning to find that
all my component text positions are defined in the libraries as over a meter
diagonally below the workspace (x location -1185.9 mm, y location -1172.05
mm). Since I place all my footprints on the origin (0,0) this could have
been quite messy.

Looking at the components default co-ordinate setting in the library gives
the same sort of values (negative ~1000mm) even though it's placed on the
origin. What's going on here?

Tom.