On 09:00 AM 8/11/2001 -0800, Brad Velander said:
>Hi all,
>         seems in reading this message that I may have missed something
>significant while I was away on vacation. I did not receive any email about
>this "ATS", does anybody still have a copy of the email that they can
>forward to me? Was this email posted to the EDA forum or was it sent via
>personal email?
>Sounds like Protel is changing their upgrade and support policies and I
>should be aware of these changes.
>
>Sincerely,
>Brad Velander.

Personal email. (Copy sent direct)

But you can get all the guff from the Protel www site.

By my calculations it appears Protel support cost have about doubled -
assuming the current roughly 2 year upgrade cycle. What's more the support
costs are now the same as PCAD.  For Protel this equates to about 25% per
annum.

What should be remembered though is that there is about a year (from the
next upgrade) before existing P99SE users are affected.  But I am yet to be
convinced, and will be lobbying for a *very* significant reduction in the
annual maintenance cost.

I do not like yearly maintenance as I can't see how it encourages good,
responsive-to-the-market software.  But I would probably go along with it
if it reflected roughly the current upgrade cost.

Ian Wilson