At 05:29 PM 11/20/01 -0700, Mark Richards wrote:
>To make a long story short, after installing XP, it must be "activated" by
>connecting to Microsoft and allowing them to authenticate your license.
>Additionally, your access code for the license is a 50-bit number which is
>generated based on your computer hardware. Therefore, if you have installed
>and activated Windows XP on your computer system, then you are only allowed
>to change a certain amount of hardware before your license is no longer
>valid and XP becomes deactivated. There is more to it, but that's the "Cliff
>Notes" version.

Just to be explicit, at that point Microsoft will presumably provide you
with another activation code. But you will have to contact them.

Someone at Microsoft has obviously figured out how much money they are
"losing" because people install their OS on more than one computer. Of
course, I won't buy XP with that system unless I am absolutely forced to,
and it has not yet come to that, so it is not clear to me that, if others
are like me, they will actually make more money, they may make less, but
this is what bean counters can do to a software company. I would have
bought XP before now if not for the activation issue. I change hardware
very often, and I might want to get one computer running before I shut down
the old one or change its OS.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA