Andrew Jenkins wrote:

> On 09:52 AM 11/21/2001 +1100, Thomas wrote:
> >Please excuse my blissful ignorance but what is the problem with the XP
> >licensing scheme?
>
> It establishes, as a "standard", an dubious method of authorization, in which a
>potentially intrusive subprogram is installed during the installation of WXP, and, if
>I'm not mistaken, continuously run post-XP-installation.
>
> Things like "Right to Privacy" come to mind, but perhaps only because of the US
>constitution, which admittedly I realize only applies to those who live under
>it...(and no, I'm not going to get into the details of how it is a potential threat
>to that constitutional right, because if the reader can't clue-in on the concept,
>then the reader either hasn't a good understanding of what rights are guaranteed to
>the American citizen, both legally and more importantly, by philosophy, or the reader
>isn't an American and was born under and lives under a different cultural
>understanding of freedom than do my folk...)

Whew!  Are we getting off topic or what!  Andrew, you should know that
Osama has won, and the US is now a totalitarian police state, if the FBI
and the executive branch choose to exercise the new powers that George Bush
has granted them and himself in the last week or so.  Secret military trials
where the name of the accused, the charges against him, the identity of the
judge and jurors, and the disposition of the case are all permanently secret!
It sounds like Argentina and the "disappeared"!

Jon