I am not the moderator of this list, and you all are free to cheerfully
ignore my comment, but the legitimate point of this thread was that many of
us would like to run Protel under Linux. It is not terribly relevant for
our purpose which operating system is best. As we know, the OS wars would
go on for centuries, filling vast disk spaces with polemic, with no
resolution until the sides retire in exhaustion, though that possibility is
only theoretical.

So I'll politely ask, please, let's not debate the superiority of one
system over another, we've seen too much of that. It is enough to
acknowledge that some of us prefer one system and some prefer another; this
does not require any admission that the other side is anything other than
the collection of stupid idiots that they must be if they would support
that piece of junk.

:-)

In ten years, I will look back at this post and say, "Ah, I was right, and
the world came to agree with me." Isn't ambiguity wonderful?

The Linux proponents, being outsiders at this time (with respect to
Protel), have a certain right, I'd say, to establish that their preference
is not completely insane, and this may require pointing out certain alleged
problems or deficiencies with Windows. There are many excellent reasons why
Protel should continue to support Windows, so I don't think there is any
threat to those who prefer Windows.

As I expressed before, my own suspicion is that an attempt to support Linux
in addition to Windows would force a programming discipline that might well
improve both products. Sloppiness that might pass unnoticed in Windows,
even though it causes the occasional crash, might well come to light in the
process of compiling Protel for Linux. But I have never done programming on
this level, it's just my suspicion.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA