At 07:51 AM 11/21/01 -0500, Sean James wrote:
>Can we get off of these threads and get backto helpful tips & tricks for
>Protel?

The way I see it, all the writers here are volunteers, and, in general,
what they think relevant *is* relevant; the social aspects of our community
are not unimportant. I suggest that those who do not like a thread ignore it.

However, it would be a good thing if we could develop some discipline as to
keeping the threads on topic. There are problems with this and I don't have
a ready answer for them, but at least I can recognize that it would be
desirable. We are not ready for what I would consider a good solution,
which would be moderation of the list. Because this list must be
immediately available to users, having moderation (which would not be
censorship; the moderators would simply assign descriptive subject lines)
would require that there be at least one duty moderator at all times.

An alternative would be to have a policy of moderation with a procedure for
bypassing it. In other words, posts would routinely be moderated, but
anyone could designate a request as an emergency by some means and it would
bypass moderation; likewise clearly on-topic responses -- as distinct from
the rambling meditations to which I am prone -- would bypass moderation.

My experience is that when the rules of a forum are clear *and* they meet
the needs of the participants, the rules are almost always well-respected
and followed.

It may be enough of a solution, however, that we develop a summary list.
People who don't want the whole banana could then very easily and quickly
skim the summary and look deeper only when they were interested. This will
also require human participation, but the editing labor could be widely
shared and it would not be such an emergency, it would be plenty if the
summary were distributed once a day; anyone desiring fast response would
get it directly through the list and would presumably, at least
temporarily, subscribe to the full list.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
Easthampton, Massachusetts USA