I would recommend the following:-

Have a small symbols library created for this purpose.  The symbols are
almost copies of existing symbols in (for example) the "device" library.  It is
likely that this library would be fairly small (pots, switches, transistors, segs
or basic displays).

Add a default footprint to the symbol description, e.g. rad0.1 or whatever.

Make sure that any pins on the symbol that will not actually be used on the
footprint are changed so that they are only graphical images and no longer
electrical.

Make sure that pin designators match the (desired footprint) pad designators
that will be used.

I would also rename these symbols slightly.

When these symbols are used on the schematic I tend to place a dashed
box type enclosure around them.  Somewhere I show that this implies the
components are mounted to a mechanical assembly.

Although this requires initial setup, overall it seems to convey good visual
readability, it also gives good electrical connectivity throughout the sch->pcb,
that is - no errors.

As someone else suggested, the off-board components do need to connect
somehow to the pcb.

This works for basic projects - would it work for yours?

Liane.

Hello,
can somebody recommend a way to handle components that I want to appear
in the schematic, but are not mounted on the PCB (e.g. switches, lamps,
fuses ...).
I thought of the following ways to do this:
a) create a separate schematic sheet with the off-board components,
connected to a sheet symbol for the rest of the circuit.
b) Draw the off-board components with drawing tools, so that they have
no electrical connectivity.
Neither approach seems to be entirely satisfactory, because with a) you
have to refer to two sheets if you want to understand the circuit, and
b) gets cumbersome for anything more complicated than, say, a single
resistor.
Does anybody here have better ideas ?

Chris
Electrical Drawing with CAD Tutor
Elecrical & Computer Engineering Department
CPIT
Ph 9408330 or 9408142