Since you connect to these off board parts like switches and pots, you need
something on the schematic to represent the connector, even if its just two
big pads. You could assign the footprint for a switch as a pad pair, which
is what I do. It allows the switch to be on the sch, yet the pair doesn't
look anything like the switch. You can then put a note on the schematic
saying "Switch not mounted on PCB" or something to that effect.

Tony