This is an example of how Norton screws with Adobe Illustrator.  It affected
my W2000 system until I read this. I was going nuts with a very sluggish
Illustrator and I didn't know it was Norton because when I installed Norton,
it was months until I used Illustrator again.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/25316.htm

It may be some problem other than Protel causing it. It never hurt to check
around.

Tony