Sean,
Counter Sink holes are used often for mounting holes for BGA devices..
especially in
performance boards..  (DUT) Device Under Test boards where they are
mounting a socket that will accept a number
of component loads for each chip test..  If you send me your fax number I
have a
detail drawing of commonly used counter sink as as well as counter bore
holes ... I do not have it electronically..
You may also find it on any number of PCB or IPC web sites..

As the other gentlemen have stated.. one of the biggest problems is not
allowing enough trace and internal
plane clearance around the hole.. Generally it is a series of drilling
steps.. one for the center hole that the
screw shaft will penetrate and then the second is sink hole or bore hole .
It is that sink or bore hole that
is larger and often not cleared.

Sam Cox
[EMAIL PROTECTED]